[TriLUG] MVS mainframes

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Jun 11 12:43:30 EDT 2009

Wow...MVS.  This is going to date me. I was working part-time in an IBM shop
in the mid 80s when they upgraded to MVS.  I assume it has changed a lot
since then, so my comments probably aren't relevant.  From what I remember,
it was a _very_ different world from anything else I've used (apple, dos, mac,
windows, linux, dec vax/unix, att unix, solaris).  Well, except for other IBM
mainframe stuff - it was pretty similar to those.

Chris

Andrew Gray wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with MVS mainframes who might be able to
> shed some light on how they work from a users point of view?  I am still
> looking for work and was contacted about a position that entails working
> with one of these mainframes.  I have looked at the wikipedia entry and
> am unsure how much different it would be from using unix or linux.  I
> took a year of Red Hat in college and had played with FreeBSD and a
> couple distros for some time before that.  So basically I am more than
> comfortable with linux and run it full time and am wondering how
> difficult it would be to pick up and how different it would be.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services