[TriLUG] June Meeting Streaming Experiment

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Jun 12 22:15:54 EDT 2009

I didn't get a chance to check out ustream.tv, but I generally prefer
to avoid flash where possible.  Why not have someone at the meeting
tie into the sound system audio, point a USB web cam at the presenter,
and use vlc to stream the webcam and audio up to an apache box
somewhere, which then reflects the stream to interested parties.  This
way we're not dependent on RH's bandwidth to stream directly to all
interested parties, we get as high quality audio/video as we can
manage for the bandwidth, we do it all w/ open source technologies
well suited to the task, and if the codec and containers are chosen
sensibly we can even stream to just about any platform (linux, os x,
even windows so we can convert the unwashed masses).  Seems like it
wouldn't even be that hard, overall.

I don't know that we have enough bandwidth at the TriLUG hosted
servers, but I imagine someone on the list has enough spare capacity
to donate a few Mb/s on an evening once a month.

Aaron S. Joyner