[TriLUG] OT: best home wireless router?

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:23:02 EDT 2009

The WRT54GS routers were re-engineered with less memory and a different
processor.
Last I heard they could be flashed with OpenWRT but it couldnt be
reversed with out bricking.

The WRT54GL were the result of the ire being raged by the user community
toward Cisco.
This is the WRT54GS before Cisco re-engineered (cheaped them out) them.

For other routers that can be used with the OpenWRT firmware look here:
http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware.html

I like the DD-WRT firmware.
http://www.dd-wrt.com

I have seen Tomato and think it is less finished but still does well.

One thing to consider though, the wall wart, that is the little black
thingie that sticks into the wall does
not always produce a clean DC source. This can result in erratic
operation of your router. That would be
locking up, slow operation and having to reboot/reset the router. If at
all possible seriously consider
replacing the wall wart that came with your router with a cleaner DC
supply. I use an astron supply.
Another brand Pyramid works well. Avoid anything from radio (cell phone)
shack or MFJ. They are (in
my opinion) trash.

73,
Neil, WA4AZL