[TriLUG] OT: Lightning protection (was DTV transition and new ATSC frequencies)

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:32:05 EDT 2009

Steve Litt wrote:

> My question boils down to this: Now that in the form of an outdoor antenna I'm
> putting up a big lightning bullseye, what can I do to minimize problems when
> that bullseye gets hit. I think what you *COULD* take away from this article
> is that the coax from your antenna can be bonded to your electrical service
> ground.

If that bullseye gets hit *directly* no amount of anti-lightning gadgets
will save you. The best you can ever hope for is to avoid damage from a
nearby strike.

The heavy-gauge grounding wire going to your meter box is sufficient for
this, though #12 gauge is too thin. I think #8 is normally used for
grounding.

You should always weigh how much you want to invest in protection versus
your risk.

Mark
N4JMT