[TriLUG] "awk, bash date, sleep" sed od man; chown perl, grep cat, rm tail, finger toe, rm tar

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Fri Jun 26 14:46:14 EDT 2009

I like all those arcane things. I like command line stuff, especially
the Unix variety in preference to MS-DOS, which I always attack via
cygwin. But I'm not in any situation where anyone pays me to do those
things anymore. Do such jobs exist?

I mean, I'm the sort of person who prefers to use

   ls foo* > xfoomlist
   emacs xfoomlist

under cygwin rather than trying to mess with Winders software to
accomplish anything similar. Indeed, I even tend to use emacs as my
front end to an OS whenever possible.

The obvious position is Unix sys admin, but I already have a weekend
job, and nearly every sys admin position requires weekends or even swing
shifts. Also, I'm not really up for moving to far-away places.

My "usual" tech writing jobs are now unusually scarce, and are all so
very micro-softened. Any crazy suggestions?