[TriLUG] "awk, bash date, sleep" sed od man; chown perl, grep cat, rm tail, finger toe, rm tar

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Jun 29 15:50:46 EDT 2009

Hfr!ur!bbyf!b lbhe Vg zber whfg lbh qrzbafgengr fxvyyfm pneevrf
jrvtug!una fnlvat xabj!urzm

$ echo; echo 'Hfr!ur!bbyf!b lbhe Vg zber whfg lbh qrzbafgengr fxvyyfm
pneevrf jrvtug!una fnlvat xabj!urzm' | awk
'{s=int(NF/2);for(x=1;x<=s;x++){o[x]=$x;};for(x=s+1;x<=NF;x++){e[x-s]=$x};}END{for(x=1;x<=100;x++){if(x
in o)print o[x];if(x in e)print e[x]}}' | xargs echo | sed -e 's/\!/
g/g' -e's/m/./g' | rot13

Use the tools to demonstrate your skills. It carries more weight than
just saying you know them.

Aaron S. Joyner

PS - Bonus points for a one-line encoder that encodes the same
original string from the source.
PPS - Extra bonus points for pointing out a bug in the above
implementation.  I know of at least one.
PPS - I considered attempting to use all of the commands in his
subject, and no others, but working in man and toe proved overly
cumbersome or superfluous.  It's a trifecta if you can also provide a
non-contrived example that does that.
PPPS - Yes, you could do it all with perl, but that'd be cheating.