[TriLUG] names of parameters passed down a chain of functions

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jul 3 16:33:05 EDT 2009

When I learned programming, I was told that a variable
should have a different name when it arrives in a function
(as a parameter). When the new variable is passed to the
next function, it should have yet another name. It would be
nice if the names were related, so that the reader would
connected the various names for the parameters (eg
image->pixels->my_pixels). However I don't have a sensible
consistent naming scheme if I do this.

The alternative is to use the same name at all levels and
let scoping rules handle it for you. This sounds the
simplest way of handling it.

What do you do?

Thanks Joe