[TriLUG] Safest long-term media

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Jul 11 19:42:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, Greg Brown wrote:

> Any thoughts on safest long-term digital storage?  I'm
> thinking no moving parts is probably a good idea.

There's been almost nothing that's lasted more than 10yrs in
the last 50yrs. I don't see anything as being long term.
Even if the media is still OK, you won't be able to read it
in the far distant future. How about serial transfers at 5yr
intervals to the current technology?

At the moment regular hard disks are hard to beat for
storage. If you power them up and update only once a month,
they'll last for decades. There's no moving parts in an
unpowered disk.

Joe