[TriLUG] voip provider

Heath Roberts htroberts at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 11:24:27 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM, James Jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com> wrote:

> I use vitelity (  http://www.vitelity.com/ ) Don't know if IAX is part
> of their support or not.

+1 for vitelity, especially if you want a high phone numbers to minutes-used
ratio--they only charge $1.49 per number per month, but you do pay for
usage--I think it's $0.015 per minute. There's an unlimited usage plan, but
I'm not sure it's appropriate for asterisk. Their website says they support
SIP and IAX (I use IAX). They provide CNAM  for $0.009 per query, which I
think is pretty good.

And if you're starting out, I recommend the trixbox distribution. I run it
under fusion on a mac. Very easy to install & use, although if you're doing
this to learn asterisk internals, trixbox makes the whole thing almost
trivial, at least for basic key-system-like functionality. One caveat: there
is/was a bug that made registration after-the-face difficult or impossible,
so go ahead and register when you install.
Someone suggested Google voice--you used to be able to connect to it with
SIP, but I think that was turned off...

--
Heath Roberts
htroberts at gmail.com