[TriLUG] How to get realistic sounding guitar out of TuxGuitar

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Aug 1 21:08:55 EDT 2009

Hi all,

My son is using TuxGuitar on Linux Mint 7. If you haven't seen TuxGuitar, it's
awesome. You draw up tablature (written music) for the rhythm, lead and bass
guitar, and hit play, and it plays the written notes. You no longer need to be
Beethoven to compose music.

There's one problem. The guitar in the sound output sounds like a 1992 video
game, not like a guitar. I know it's possible to get guitar like sound because
one of his bandmates has a similar computer program in Windows, and his music
comes out sounding like real guitar.

So I need to find out how to get real guitar sounding notes coming out of my
computer. Can it be done if I don't have a hardware midi? How do I get the
right sounds out of guitar tracks?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt