[TriLUG] [OT] Kindle jeers? [Was e-mail suckback]

Glenn Hennessee glenn.hennessee at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:34:48 EDT 2009

In some sense there's nothing wrong with Kindle. The recent happening
was that Amazon sold kindle copies of 1984 that it turns out they didn't
actually have the right to sell. Instead of contacting the purchasers
and letting them know the situation they just automatically removed the
book from their kindles. That is a very bad way to do something. They
have apologized for it but will they do it again? Who knows.

The original Kindle and the Kindle2 will not deal with PDF natively. You
have to upload the files to Amazon who will convert them to kindle
format (which actually MobiPocket format) and send them to your kindle.
There is a $0.10 charge per document for doing this. The Kindle DX will
read PDF natively so no upload/conversion/charge is incurred.

Apple is rumored to be coming out with a 10 inch iPod touch this fall
with a bookstore associated with it. Apple of course will neither
confirm or deny these rumors. The rumored price is $600-$700 which is
way out of my price range.

I have used a Kindle2 and liked it. I only had it for a week (checked
out from the NC State Library) and they loaded a book on it for me. It
remembers where you left off reading. Someday I will get an eBook
reader. It may or may not be a Kindle.
glenn