[TriLUG] [OT] Kindle jeers? [Was e-mail suckback]

Noel Nunkovich ntnunk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:46:36 EDT 2009

For what it's worth, I've owned a Kindle 1 for about 18 months now. I
absolutely love the thing and I'm thinking about passing this one on to
the wife and upgrading to a Kindle 2.  Mine has been my constant
companion and there is absolutely nothing better when traveling.
Reading on the device is comfortable and even better than a book in my
opinion, simply due to the fact that books, especially hard covers, are
physically awkward to hold in many positions.

I understand the concerns with the pull-back of 1984 and in fact share
them myself to some extent.  On the other hand, Amazon did refund the
money.  Also, I've been a very frequent customer of Amazon, and an
Associate until Bev Perdue's lovely legislation killed it for me, so I
trust that they will generally do "the right thing."  On top of that,
books on the Kindle generally cost less (and in some cases much less)
than paper books, the convenience of being able to just download
something else when your sitting in the airport waiting for a flight and
you decide that the book you've got isn't doing it for you, the
convenience of being able to carry tens or hundreds of books with you at
all times (a huge plus for me since I used to refuse to step into an
airport without at least 3 paperbacks), and the ability to store books
digitally (another huge plus for me given that I read at least 3 or 4
books per week normally) make the Kindle well worth the trade-off of
dealing with DRM.

Just my opinion.
Noel