[TriLUG] CentOS status

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:46:50 EDT 2009

Sure, of course.  You could also compile them by hand.  You're not using the
'official' standard repos if you go looking for other stuff though.  If
you're not going to stick with official repos, and just start adding
whatever RPMs you need from various places, what, again is the benefit of
using CentOS?  Why not just use a distro that has more of what you need in
its official base?

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:43 AM, John Broome <jbroome at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Kimsal wrote:
> > Depends on what your needs are.  I looked at centos 5.3 for a new server
> the
> > other day - primarily a LAMP setup - and was rather shocked that PHP
> 5.1.3
> > was the version that comes with centos 5.3.  I understand that centos
> > mirrors RHEL, and RHEL is a 'conservative' distro.  However, 5.2 came out
> in
> > Nov 06, and centos 5.3 came out in April - 2.5 years later.  If they
> can't
> > keep the software I need moderately up to date, it's not viable.
> >
> > For some purposes, I might be "viable", but as I said it depends on what
> > your needs are.  If you need a LAMP server with moderately up to date
> > packages, it's not a serious option (obviously, imo).
>

> RPMs for more up to date versions of PHP are available on the web with a
> little bit of the googling.

Michael Kimsal
http://jsmag.com - for javascript developers
http://groovymag.com - for groovy developers