[TriLUG] OT: Dell desktop, recovering boot and partition info

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Aug 31 22:06:07 EDT 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Jeff Schornick wrote:

> You're right.  It's actually not a restore partition, but the Dell
> Utility Partition...
>
>  http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/index.htm

thanks.

I had found the 2nd vfat partition (at the end of the disk,
after the 48M vfat partition, and the 35G ntfs partition),
which Goodells calls the DSR partition. It was filled with
garbage filenames, so I assumed it was from a previous
install and ignored it.

It's reassuring that I found it though.

> Good luck with the rest of your restore.

Thanks

I didn't want to write to the original disk. When I did the
dd of the 797G, I let it run overnight and so wasn't
watching the disk lights. Tonight I looked for partition
starts past the end of the 40G, the disk light went out.
Presumably there is no disk past the 40G even though the
disk is telling me that it's 797G and returning bits to the
OS.

I didn't have a disk big enough to write 797G, but I have a
couple of spare 120G, so I'm now writing the first 40G of
the crashed disk to the 120G. Then I can mess with the
partition table there.

Joe