[TriLUG] OT: music hardware geeks - Roy, Jim and the like - reel to reel stuff

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 22:40:05 EDT 2009

The TEAC will play for a short bit then slow down. It has been under
its plastic protective thing for years. I told Dad we should open it
up and use a can of air on it anyway but we haven't done that yet.
Like I mentioned, we've called around and been laughed at so far, but
we do prefer to find a local tech. :) so I came here for any potential
suggestions. Glad to know at least 1 person so far knows what I'm
talking about! So far we found a tech guy who will "restore" not
repair it, but he is in AZ... We are trying to determine if he is
legit.
Thanks, David

On 9/23/09, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 September 2009 19:06:31 David McDowell wrote:
>> So here's the deal. I have an old Sony model 377 that does 7.5 IPS
>> (inch per second) 1/4" tape reel to reel and a TEAC A-3340 4 track
>> that plays 15 and 7.5 IPS 1/4" tape reel to reel.  Neither work 100%.
>> Are you aware of anyone who has one I can borrow to digitize my Dad's
>> 1970's recordings?? Or if not that where I can borrow or rent one
>> from? We've called a few places so far and got laughed at. Would
>> greatly appreciate the help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David McDowell
>
> One possibility is to find a repair shop with an older technician who can
> work
> on those tape decks, and fix them. I can tell you from personal experience
> that
> the 3340 is a spectacular machine well worth repair, and probably not that
> difficult or expensive to repair. I repaired several of them in the late
> 1970's
> and early 1980's, and their quality was so good that repair was easy.
>
> Curious -- what is not 100% on the Teac?
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Recession Relief Package
> http://www.recession-relief.US