[TriLUG] TV Tuner, Linux, and QAM

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Mon Oct 12 14:20:05 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Scott G. Hall
<ScottGHall at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Jason Evans wrote:
>> $100, be able to record to HDD like a DVR/PVR and be able to watch/record
>> digital cable stations as well.  The big question is about the card

Hi Jason,
You might want to clarify your requirements a little.  Do you want to record:

1. Analog Cable TV channels
2. Un-encrypted Digital Cable TV channels (QAM)
3. Encrypted Digital Cable TV channels (QAM)
4. Over the Air (OTA) Digital TV channels (ATSC)
5. Analog VCR Player using OTA coax (NTSC)
5. Analog VCR Player using RCA video/audio cables (NTSC)

My HD HomeRun does items 2 & 4, and works well with MythTV.  Because
Digital TV is sent in mpeg2 format there is no CPU encoding required.

Have a look at the MythTV wiki hardware list:
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Video_capture_cards

Bill