[TriLUG] Firefox behavior

Brian Cottingham spiffytech at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 09:10:09 EDT 2009

On 10/13/2009 08:45 AM, Joel J. Adamson wrote:

>      >  I routinely leave my browsers open and somewhat active for weeks
>      >  at a time - until the system needs a reboot (even accounting for
>      >  the 'Stand By' time).  Why wouldn't I?
>
> Because you're not using it?
>
> I'm generally interested in computer use behavior (psychology of
> technology).  After reading these posts, I'm wondering what I would be
> getting out of my computer if I had twenty tabs open at once.  Are you
> seriously reading twenty things at once?
>
> I rarely have more than two tabs open.  If there's something I want to
> come back to later, I just bookmark it.
>
> Really I'm just curious: is there some kind of work you're doing that
> requires you to have twenty tabs open?
>
> Joel

Often, there is. I'll open up a few news articles for later whose
headlines caught my attention, then I'll go back to whatever topic I was
researching a moment ago. I'll move on to homework and open a few tabs
of Wikipedia and whatnot. When homework's through, I'll return to the
news articles.

I've considered a number of solutions like bookmarking tabs to return to
later, but I find that I suffer too much from out-of-sight, out-of-mind.
I stumble across many things that are interesting to read, but not
important enough to remember to read. Often I still forget to deal with
tabs, or just put them on the back burner to handle later, but I leave
them running instead of bookmarking and closing them, else I'd forget to
ever deal with them.

-Brian