[TriLUG] TV Tuner, Linux, and QAM

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue Oct 13 15:16:09 EDT 2009

Jason Evans wrote:
> Bill,
> The HD HomeRun may be exactly what I'm looking for.
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Bill Farrow wrote:
>> You might want to clarify your requirements a little.  Do you want to
>> record:
>>
>> 1. Analog Cable TV channels
>> 2. Un-encrypted Digital Cable TV channels (QAM)
>> 3. Encrypted Digital Cable TV channels (QAM)
>> 4. Over the Air (OTA) Digital TV channels (ATSC)
>> 5. Analog VCR Player using OTA coax (NTSC)
>> 5. Analog VCR Player using RCA video/audio cables (NTSC)
>>
>> My HD HomeRun does items 2 & 4, and works well with MythTV.  Because
>> Digital TV is sent in mpeg2 format there is no CPU encoding required.

It looks like the HD HomeRun may be the one I'm looking for as well,
but only for my goal of receiving ATSC (free air digital) signals.
My other goal is NTSC signals from other boxes.

Ideally I would like a ATSC and NTSC dual-tuner card -- and on the cheap.
(to clarify: goal is two ATSC channels at the same time, or one ATSC
channel and one NTSC input at the same time; two NTSC inputs at the same
time would be icing on the cake)

I've looked through the hardware list for MythTV, but I would rather
defer to local experience in the area first, because I don't have the
money to experiment with different cards.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA