[TriLUG] fw: Open Novell System Administrator

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Wed Oct 28 15:22:13 EDT 2009

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil wrote:
> Novell ...more like NOthanks! However, for those who have no job right now ...

Have no job right now, looked at the website... They are a government
agency. Their bridge (the Bay Bridge) just broke. A replacement part
that was just installed apparently failed. Probably for the same reason
they are using 1995 computer systems.

Off-the-cuff and sight-unseen analysis of bridge failure: Replacement
part was made to ISO-certified specs, and no testing was done because
none was required for parts from a certified vendor. Probably made
overseas, as so much US foundry work has shut down in the face of
increasing environmental regulations.

Off-the-cuff and sight-unseen analysis of computer system: Government
specs for replacement of existing system requires it to meet
ISO-certified (or other silly) specifications that are outpaced by
currently-available systems. "Sorry, the spec calls for a 300-megabyte
disc. Your proposed system does not have that."

For the bridge, I would have had the replacement part X-rayed or
whatever, inspecting for cracks.

For the computer system, I would have some piece of meatware X-rayed,
inspecting for cracks through which the payola filters.

That job IS out there on the left coast, isn't it? Probably half way
between Oakland and SF?