[TriLUG] A UNIX oldie and perhaps a goodie

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 14:33:57 EDT 2009

A friend of mind dropped by my cube this morning and left an old UNIX tape
probably created with a SparcStation 10.  Turns out my old friend has been
let go from the company and he found this tape cleaning out his desk.  He
left a tongue-in-cheek note saying "here are your sound files back".  The
tape is dated 11/12/96.

What's interesting here is *I think* this tape contains the /audio directory
from sunsite.unc.edu prior to The Great Disk Crash.  I have absolutely no
way of reading the tape.  If anyone is interested in the tape and has
something that can read it I'd be curious to know what's actually on this
thing.  If the tape does indeed include the old audio directory from Sunsite
I'd be interested in coverting the tape to some other useable format.  I
have no idea what format the audio files are stored as but I would assume a
plug-in for Audicity exists.

Greg