[TriLUG] scripts and the gnome desktop

Pete at Soper.US Pete at Soper.US
Sun Nov 1 17:47:13 EST 2009

This msg made me break down and systematically search my Ubuntu 9.10 beta
desktop to see if there is a menu/button that launches a Nautilus instance
or maybe Dolphin. If there is, I couldn't find it. But I did find the method
for shutting log out/shutdown/restart (left-click top-right username goober
and select drop down menu item). (Yes, ctrl-alt-delete brings the dialog up
too)

But for me, double-clicking a script in Nautilus (e.g. a file on the
desktop) that has execute permission and a proper header line (e.g.
"#!/bin/sh") causes Nautilus to put up a dialog letting the user run the
script directly or run it in a terminal. I guess if the pref mentioned below
is set it just runs it without asking. If the script file has execute
permissions but isn't a valid script the dialog comes up but selecting "run"
just dismisses the dialog and nothing happens. If the script file doesn't
have execute permissions then the default editor comes up with the file.
This is with a virgin 64 bit Ubuntu 9.10 beta release (the very last one
before RC and formal release, if I'm not mistaken).

When I made a launcher to run /usr/bin/nautilus it was put on the desktop
with the icon image you'd expect. Now I can find it. :-)

-Pete