[TriLUG] MS Web Host drops connecions from Linux clients

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Tue Nov 3 11:11:37 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Brian Phelps <brphelps at ieee.org> wrote:
> A vendor of mine hosts a web site that basically drops or times out
> connections from any Linux machine I have tried:
> http://www.keydigital.com

The page loaded fine on my system. The page load is slow, but that
will be the amount of data that it is loading.

My system is Debian 5.0 (Lenny) with Firefox 3.0.6

Firebug reports the initial page load time and size:
  51 requests  329 KB (0 B from cache)  1.33mins

I have had similar issues before where Google loads but other sites
just time out. Turned our to be a network MTU limitation on my friends
home network. So try changing your MTU:

 ifconfig eth0 | grep MTU

ifconfig eth0 mtu 1200

If this works, start increasing the mtu size until it stops working,
then back it off.  There is probably a better way to auto configure
the mtu size...

Bill