[TriLUG] Web-based note taking application - similar to KeepNote

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Nov 3 11:39:17 EST 2009

> I am looking for a web-based note taking application to install
> on my CentOS server

This is not what you were originally asking for... but you might
want to take a look at Tiddlywiki.  http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

It's a personal wiki, extremely lightweight, that is completely
contained in a single HTML file.  All of the formatting and saving
code is written in javascript inside of the HTML file.

Unlike a normal wiki, though, it can not (easily) be hosted on
a server.  It is intended to be kept on your local filesystem. [1]
I keep mine on a thumb drive.

However, if you make a copy of the HTML file onto your web server,
you will still be able to READ the wiki.  You just won't be able
to make changes to that copy (because javascript will not be able
to write the changes back to your web server).

I have completely abandoned my old paper notebook at $WORK, in
favor of a Tiddlywiki file on my thumb drive.  And I have a cron
job that copies that file to a web server in the office, so
others can see what I am up to (but not write to it).

Sorry to hijack your thread... Tiddlywiki is just too good of a
tool to keep it a secret.

Alan

[1] There are ways to host a Tiddlywiki on a web server, but I'll
leave that as an exercise for the reader.

.