[TriLUG] MS Web Host drops connecions from Linux clients

Brian Phelps brphelps at ieee.org
Tue Nov 17 22:56:48 EST 2009

I don't know how to repost a twitter conversation but here goes.  It
reads backwards to forwards, which is annoying, like twitter often is,
so start at the >>>>>

electronjunkie

@kernelslacker Thanks! I'll tell Abdel to upgrade the NAT for his
server/domain. Whether he knows what that means is a different story.

kernelslacker

@electronjunkie right. The local side is just performing a perfectly
valid optimisation that the remote end doesn't handle.

electronjunkie

@kernelslacker Meaning the router on their end I take it.

kernelslacker

@electronjunkie just a hunch. I've seen it before. some crappy routers
have broken scaling implementations

electronjunkie

@kernelslacker Genius! Why would this server shit itself when
tcp_window_scaling is enabled? More importantly, what pointed this out
to you?

kernelslacker

electronjunkie

The last response I had from abdel claimed the problem was me. See
this interesting thread for why thats not the case:
http://bit.ly/2wJ95R

@electronjunkie site seems to load fine if you disable the
tcp_window_scaling sysctl. Looks like crap hardware on the remote end.

electronjunkie

The last response I had from abdel claimed the problem was me. See
this interesting thread for why thats not the case:
http://bit.ly/2wJ95R

electronjunkie

Start here and read up

Entire site that timeouts on TCP layer only to Linux Clients
http://www.keydigital.com/ Contact abdel at keydigital.com and ask to fix
it.