[TriLUG] recovering files from lost+found

Charles Mangin option8 at option8.com
Wed Dec 2 16:48:23 EST 2009

thanks for the pointer. with a little fiddling and some more googling,
i came up with a workable script:

files=/shmoo/lost+found/*
for f in $files
	do file "$f" |
	grep "JPEG image data" |
	awk -F: '{ printf("mv %s %s\n", $1, $1".jpg") | "sh"}'
done

this is renaming all the random l+f files that are jpegs. with minor
tweaks, i should be able to find all my M4A and M4P files and recover
them.

Charles Mangin
Option8, LLC - Making Macs happy since 1999.
option8 at option8.com | http://www.option8consulting.com
mobile: 919.368.7167
skype: option8llc