[TriLUG] Burn-in Software

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Dec 10 12:56:06 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 11:40 -0500, James Jones wrote:
> All,
>
> I have assembled a new server for my computer room. I would like to do
> a 24-36 hour burn-in of the unit ( running centos 5.4 32bit ) using
> some soft of "exercising" software.
>
> Are there any open source packages available for such a task?

memtest86 is one of the most low-level tests you can use to test the
core hardware (CPU, memory, bridge chips, etc.)  It doesn't test
graphics, disk, peripherals, drivers, etc.

memtest86 should be included on most Linux boot disks as a boot up
option -- it boots instead of Linux, does its job for as long as you
like, and the you reboot into Linux for Linux-level testing.

VA Linux systems used to produce an open source hardware tester called
Cerberous or something but that was 10+ years ago?

I don't know of anything else, but I'm interested, too..

--
Maxwell Spangler