[TriLUG] distro for macbook pro?

Dan Weber dan.b.weber at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 19:39:17 EST 2009

So i actually have a triple boot system.  Mac, windows, and Ubuntu 9.04.
Ubuntu doesn't work straight out the box, but it is minimal work to get it
set up. (It actually seemed like I did more to get windows set up). I chose
Ubuntu, because it has been my distro of choice, but as far as mac hardware
goes, I have heard that Fedora works just as well.

As far as the virtualization goes, I would suggest VMware Fusion (or
Parallels).  I have found that Virtualbox is noticeably slower than these
two.  I use Fusion, and the thing that I like the best is that if I am doing
something under OSX, and need to do something quick under windows or Linux,
I can boot those partitions like virtual hd's. VMware Fusion has an option
to convert these to virtual machines that are bootable under OSX (I believe
that Parallels does too).

Setting up my system like this gives me the the option to boot up those
operating systems if I feel like I need to. But like the others I mostly use
virtualization.  (Note: the reason I have all 3, is that I am a student, and
depending on my profs for the semester, I may have to develop a windows app
or a Linux app.  I have OSX, because it simplifies things for me.)

 Also you may want to install Refit.  It works as well as Apple's efi, but
it is licensed under the BSD.  It is a efi loader that will let you choose
between operating systems graphically.  I prefer it over Apple's efi, but
that's just my two cents.

Dan Weber
dan.b.weber at gmail.com