[TriLUG] Sound files editor: ogg files ID3 tags and wav metafiles

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Dec 19 11:03:34 EST 2009

On Saturday 19 December 2009 05:54:49 Scott G. Hall wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an ID3 editor that works well from arguments on the
> command line?  I would like to write a script to either extract ID3 info
> and create wav metafiles, or read metafiles and insert ID3 info.  I am
> also looking for doing the same with MP3 files.
>
> The idea is I've created a lot of recordings for area churches, and would
> like to add ID3 info on them, so that extracted sermons and performance
> tracks will display correctly on MP3 players.  I have a DVD player that
> presumably plays ogg files and should display their ID3 info.
>
> It was easy to modify my Myth system to display metafile info on screen
> when playing wav files.  The metafiles were updated with correct dates,
> genres, copyright info and track number (the artists and "albums" are
> taken from the directory structure).
>
> Also comments and pointers for this project would be appreciated.  I don't
> want to reinvent work others have already done.

With the Ubuntu 9.10 distro you can package install something called id3:

slitt at mydesk:/d/at/books/pdf/old$ id3
usage: id3 -[tTaAycg] `text' file1 [file2...]
       id3 -d file1 [file2...]
       id3 -l file1 [file2...]
       id3 -L
       id3 -v
 -t   Modifies a Title tag
 -T   Modifies a Track tag
 -a   Modifies an Artist tag
 -A   Modifies an Album tag
 -y   Modifies a Year tag
 -c   Modifies a Comment tag
 -g   Modifies a Genre tag
 -l   Lists an ID3 tag
 -L   Lists all genres
 -R   Uses an rfc822-style format for output
 -d   Deletes an ID3 tag
 -h   Displays this help info
 -v   Prints version info
slitt at mydesk:/d/at/books/pdf/old$

I have no idea whether it works with .ogg files.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US