[TriLUG] Sound files editor: ogg files ID3 tags and wav metafiles

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Sat Dec 19 11:45:48 EST 2009

----- "Scott G. Hall" <ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend an ID3 editor that works well from arguments on
> the
> command line?  I would like to write a script to either extract ID3

The Ubuntu id3v2 command/package will do this, among others.

> The idea is I've created a lot of recordings for area churches, and
> would
> like to add ID3 info on them, so that extracted sermons and
> performance
> tracks will display correctly on MP3 players.  I have a DVD player
> that
> presumably plays ogg files and should display their ID3 info.

Ogg Vorbis files use their own metadata format, different from ID3.
The vorbiscomment command from the vorbis-tools package can work with metadata in Vorbis files as id3v2 does for MP3.

Dave

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have.  The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." - Thomas Jefferson