[TriLUG] Online Cloud Offsite Backup

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Mon Dec 21 22:57:09 EST 2009

I love rsync.net. $.80 / GB / month (though the more, the cheaper) --
but you get to use rsync. So block-level backups, checksum comparison
instead of just datestamps and filenames, and unlimited bandwidth. Plus
they're responsive and rock solid. For fun you can read the founder's
blog at http://blog.kozubik.com/ for FreeBSD boosterism and some
trenchant criticism of "cloud" hype.

I like Amazon S3 and s3sync.rb for files that I don't expect to change
much, if ever, like the photo library. Amazon charges for bandwidth in
and out, but it's overall cheaper.

Things like Jungle Disk that just build on top of S3 freak me out a bit
-- an abstraction on top of an abstraction. Let me get in there and muck
with it myself. :)

--bak