[TriLUG] Looking for a good VOIP provider [was: New TimeWarner speed increase]

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 10:40:47 EST 2009

I second Vonage.  There's a lot of VOIP providers out there that
compete on price.  TW voice itself bills 'unlimited calling' for a
flat rate and such.  But... they don't mention anything about
international.  For international calls, nothing beats Vonage.  We get
unlimited calling to most of Europe and Australia included in the base
$24.99 now.  We've set up a remote phone number in the UK for our UK
friends to call (local for them) for flat $5/month, which comes
straight to us.  Local for them, no per minute for us.  I've not yet
found a company that comes close to the feature set of Vonage for the
average consumer.

We use Skype as well, and have a 'skype2go' number for calling out
overseas when mobile - just call the number in Knightdale and then
dial through, and it's dinged against your Skype account.

Google Voice might be a player in this field at some point, but until
that's a reality, Vonage gets my vote.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Ronald Kelley <rkelleyrtp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Moving to a new thread...
>
>> I have TW for my voice (currently trying to find a good alternative that's easy enough to maintain my non-technical .wife is able to handle maintenance on it).
>
> | Viatalk. Five by five voice quality, good service, and a reasonably foolproof web interface -- decent features, too.
>

> [rk] We have had Vonage for probably 5 years now.  In the beginning (first 6mos), we were plagued with problems, and I considered switching back to AT&T land-line. Now, things are rock-solid, we pay about $30/mo (less if you pay by the year), the web interface is clean and easy to navigate, and we get free international calling (family is in Germany).
>
> I would highly recommend Vonage...

Michael Kimsal
http://jsmag.com - for javascript developers
http://groovymag.com - for groovy developers