[TriLUG] Corrupted package install

Glenn Starling multifacetedguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:36:31 EST 2010

When updating to Kubuntu 8.10 the package database became corrupted and the
install *almost* finished.  Neither Synaptic nor Adept were installed.
KPackageKit was installed, but says "some packages" are corrupted and
suggests running Synaptic or Adept.  Using apt-get, dpkg, and aptitude from
the command line show the problem is with the flashplugin-installer and
flashplugin-nonfree.  Neither will install or remove as they are
"half-installed,"  even if I use the force option.  These are dependencies
of something and the package installer always aborts before installing
anything until these dependencies are resolved.  It always suggests
reinstalling this package before removing or use the "sudo apt-get -f
install" command without specifying any package to try to automatically fix
the problems.

Google provided one useful link that suggested entering "the following
commands under a console & now you should be able to install any software
packages normally under Ubuntu 9.10." (From
http://linux.gauravlive.com/ubuntu/bug-fix-unable-to-install-software-packages-under-ubuntu-9-10/)

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/adobe-flashplugin.prerm

sudo dpkg-reconfigure adobe-flashplugin –force

sudo dpkg –purge –force-all adobe-flashplugin

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

It didn't work.  So, what do I do next?  Is there a strategy that works to
resolve dependency/version problems such as this?

Thanks,

-- Glenn Starling