[TriLUG] CHCCS Connect 2 School

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Wed Jan 6 12:52:13 EST 2010

After getting the right doc pointers, enabling Connect 2 School on
ubuntu was indeed easy. I'm saving the full flow here so I can point
the CHCCS folks @ the archive link, in the hope they'll appropriately
update their docs and FAQ. (And that they'll see all the happy
linuxers on this thread and realize that n>1.)

I installed on a box running Ubuntu 9.04 with 2 accounts: one for me
that has admin (i.e. is a sudoer, but is not root), one for the
student that does not. Steps 1-8 were done as me, the rest were done
as the student.

1 Download the latest linux Citrix XenApp client (aka "Citrix
  Receiver"). Currently the link for that is

http://www.citrix.com/English/ss/downloads/details.asp?downloadId=3323&productId=186

  I made, pushd'ed to, and downloaded to,

/tmp/citrix

2 Extract the installer

tar xfz <tarball>

  in the download directory.

3 Run

./setupwfc

 (a text-mode script) in the download directory. Take the option to
  "Install Citrix Receiver", then install to the default directory

/usr/lib/ICAClient

  then exit.

4 Check to see that there are

Applications>Internet>Citrix Receiver

  and

/usr/lib/ICAClient/wfcmgr

5 Try running the client either way. Both failed for me: the icon was
  silent, but running

/usr/lib/ICAClient/wfcmgr

  in terminal produced

> ./wfcmgr: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

  I checked

ls -al /usr/lib/libXm.so.*

  but didn't have either

/usr/lib/libXm.so.3.0.2
/usr/lib/libXm.so.4

  so I installed motif and symlinked:

sudo apt-get install libmotif3
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libXm.so.3.0.2 /usr/lib/libXm.so.4

  After that I was able to run the client both via

/usr/lib/ICAClient/wfcmgr
Applications>Internet>Citrix Receiver

  and exit (mainmenu>Connections>Exit, IIRC).

6 Login to the portal. In your browser (I used firefox), goto the
  Connect 2 School PORTAL (dunno why the CHCCS docs always capitalize
  that, but they do)

https://c2s.chccs.k12.nc.us/

  and enter your student's credentials.

7 Configure the portal. Find the text "C2S Applications" @ upper left
  of the page. Next to that are some image links, one of which links

appsettings.aspx

  Click on that. In the resulting page, choose "Client Preferences"
  select "Local Client" if not default, and click OK. Get back to the
  initial page by clicking on the leftmost icon (IIRC).

8 Test the portal: logout, login, and double-click on "My Desktop".
  You should get a remote desktop in separate frame.

I then logged out of the portal and the ubuntu box and logged into
both the box and portal using the student's account.

9 Test the portal: login, and double-click on "My Desktop". This just
  worked, with no permissions twiddling.

If you're really anal (that would be me :-)

10 Restart the box, login to both the box and the portal as the
   student, and verify functionality survived logout.

FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>