[TriLUG] RTP Local cable-pulling company

Jerry Wilson jerry at innovativeoffice1.com
Fri Jan 8 14:48:31 EST 2010

Hey

I have been enjoying this thread and all the back and forth. One guy do
it?  Hire a
company to do it? Which company to hire?

How much time involved? Little bit of heat involved in this one. All in
fun though.

I have an idea that I have not seen suggested. This worked for me a few
years ago.

Hired a couple of guys that were out of work. They didn't have to know
how to run
cable as long as there was someone there to supervise. Got all the
materials and
planned out the installation.(Seems like the planning has already been
done in this
case.) Then let them do the heavy lifting.

I am working from memory here, but I think it was 25 drops, 4 cables
each, in a
space like you describe; not completely finished, open walls and
ceilings. Took
them about 10 hours and I think I paid them $6 - $8 per hour, maybe $150.00
total.

A friend and I were there to supervise. Didn't need both of us but we
kept each
other company.

Oh, I think we took them to lunch too. These guys weren't the smartest
on the planet
but they were a lot of fun. So lunch was worth it in terms of entertainment.

In one day, all the cables were in place(by code) and what was left was
to do the
terminations.

It was a compromise between spending too much time and spending too much
money that worked for me. And there are a lot more out of work today
than there
were then.

Cheers

Jerry Wilson