[TriLUG] coming up... SQLite

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Jan 19 20:07:04 EST 2010

We've got another good program lined up for next month, so mark your
calendars for February 11th.  We will be hosting D. Richard Hipp, the
author of SQLite.

Quoting Wikipedia, because they explain it so well...

SQLite is an ACID-compliant embedded relational database management
system contained in a relatively small (~225 kB) C programming library.
The source code for SQLite is in the public domain.

The SQLite engine is not a standalone process with which the application
program communicates. Instead, the SQLite library is linked in and thus
becomes an integral part of the application program (though the library
can be built into a dynamically loaded library). The entire database
(definitions, tables, indices, and the data itself) is stored as a
single cross-platform file on a host machine.

</wikipedia>
It's me again...

SQLite is so small and powerful and robust, it is an ideal choice for
embedded systems.  SQLite is included in Apple's iphone SDK, and it can
be found in crazy places like the TMIO Intelligent Oven.  SQLite is
often used by desktop applications for configuration data.  Examples
include Firefox, Sunbird, epiphany, bitpim, and eclipse.

Dr. Hipp has asked if we have specific topics that we would like for him
to discuss, or if we'd just like him to surprise us.

Those who went to South East Linux Fest last year got to see him speak
on the "Firefox fsync() bug".  It was very enlightening.

Suggestions?  I will be sending him an email later this week with our
requests.  Personally, I am thinking that he'll have plenty of good
stories for us, even if we don't have any special requests for him.

Alan

.