[TriLUG] TWC IPs blocked in spamhaus Zen list?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Jan 26 05:40:53 EST 2010

At 4:28pm -0500 Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> Anybody else on TWC business get blocked by spamhaus trying to send
> mail outbound and now caught in customer service pingpong mode?
> Appreciate pointers to docs or response off-list if you've dealt with
> this before.

This is for folks running their own *MTA*, right?

> I'd especially appreciate configs for Thunderbird to do SMTP AUTH in a
> manner that even roughly resembles secure, since official docs don't
> provide that.

Would you enlighten us non-mail gurus to what "roughly resembles secure"
means?  I thought I was secure, due to SSL, but now I'm not sure.  Here
is one of my TBird configs:

Incoming mail:
 Server settings:
  Security Settings:
   - Use Secure connection: SSL
   - Use secure authentication: unchecked (b/c over SSL)

Outgoing mail:
 Port: 587
 Security and Authentication:
  - Use name and password
  - Use secure connection: TLS

Since I'm encrypting the layer (SSL and TLS), and assuming I haven't
blindly accepted any SSL/TLS certificates (I haven't), I'm good to go, yes?

Thanks,

Kevin