[TriLUG] Free to a good home

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Tue Feb 16 07:39:16 EST 2010

Based on a bit of research, I'd say the SGI Octane is not free. It's a
power hog. The "good home" for it should be in serious need of an extra
space heater, and the new owner should have a computationally
appropriate purpose for it, like obsolete chip design. They are intended
for Irix, but are rumored to be able to run Linux or Free BSD.

Alternative uses are possible. Stepstool; table; thing to trip on in the
dark; future antique; musical instrument; cat scratching post.

On the other hand it appears to be of solid construction, and uses far
less power than the Univac 1105.