[TriLUG] Need secondary DNS provider

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Feb 17 17:27:08 EST 2010

Btw... BIND has a provision for doing this already via dynamic DNS.
It's even secure when combined with TSIG.  :)  nsupdate is a pretty
straight forward tool to use, and supports secure authentication.  You
could script the addition of new domains and generation of
administration keys for TriLUG users in probably 1d worth of volunteer
work, at the most.  2h if you're familiar with the problem space and
the TriLUG machines.  Then, users do something akin to this to update
RR in their domain:

$ nsupdate
> update delete oldhost.example.com A
> update add newhost.example.com 86400 A 172.16.1.1
> send

Of course, you can limit updates on a per-domain basis, and if you're
feeling paranoid only allow them from localhost.  You could even go so
far as to wrap nsupdate in a quick shell script that would work
something like:
$ updatedns www.example.com 192.168.1.1

And/or provide a shell script users could drop on their machine to
periodically run from cron and update it's DNS record with the TriLUG
server:
$ pushiptotrilugdns www.example.com

Voila, you've re-implemented dyndns and it's many cousins with secure
open standards and a box provided by your local lug.  To boot, you've
made it easy to operate for hundreds of your lug mates, and would
probably learn a thing or two along the way.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner

PS - No, I'm not volunteering to implement it, although I'll volunteer
to consult or help troubleshoot if someone does implement it and runs
into problems.