[TriLUG] Event: Celebrating 50 Years of Computing at Carolina

Judy Hallman hallman at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 3 16:53:59 EST 2010

I think some Internetworkers and TriLUGers might be interested in this
event.

In 1959, the UNC Computation Center began operating with a Univac 1105
computer. In March 1960, Bill Friday presided over dedicating the
Computation Center.

We've come a long way since then! You can take advantage of an
opportunity to look back and look forward this spring when Chancellor
Thorp, Bill Friday, and other special guests will help celebrate 50
years of computing on campus.

Read the recent Gazette article here: http://gazette.unc.edu/file.2.html

The event, sponsored by ITS, Computer Science, and the School of
Information and Library Science, will take place in the Nelson Mandela
Auditorium at the FedEx Global Education Center.

Thursday March 18
2:00-3:15PM

Please share this information with others on- and off-campus.

Have you been a part of Carolina's computing history? Or witnessed some
of the major changes as they happened? Please join the online community
effort to gather information and memories of Carolina computing.
Register at http://www.ibiblio.org/comphist and add your personal
memories, photos or department computing materials.

E-mail questions or suggestions about the history archive to me, Judy
Hallman, hallman at email.unc.edu.