[TriLUG] Failing at Ubuntu Wireless Adapter Crap Shoot

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 5 12:08:15 EST 2010

Hi Carl, Joe, and others...

FWIW, the current TP-Link USB adapter carried by Intrex is the WN422G
V2.  It has an Atheros chipset (AR9271) for which the driver is still in
development.  It was the first new one I tried, cheap at $20 with a nice
antenna.  I hope they get the driver completed soon.  Seems donation
worthy IMO.

Before that I tried a D-Link USB adapter that my wife bought for an old
laptop.  It's based on a Ralink chipset that is well supported, but
stopped working (connection fails) in Ubuntu Jaunty and newer releases.
  There's an open bug report for it, but no signs of any activity in
over a year.

By the way, my effort to create a point-to-point bridge between a
DD-WRTed WRT54GL and a Netgear WG602 wireless bridge is a washout so
far.  I can get the Netgear to say it's bridging, and it lists the
Linksys as a bridged router.  But the internet packets, they do not
propagate.  Alas.

It's a thicket out there folks.

    Scott C.