[TriLUG] best dvd-r media

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:00:47 EDT 2010

Brian Cottingham wrote:
>> Like Cristobal I see monthly DVD+R backups as providing the redundancy to
>> hopefully make things available even if a single backup set goes bad. I
>> also
>> keep the DVDs out of sunlight and in an air conditioned facility.
>>

> Regarding corrupted backups, does anyone use RAR with recovery volumes for
> their backups? The recovery volumes store some redundant data from the main
> .rar file which can be used to recover it if it becomes corrupted.
>
> Recovery volumes should make backups on any medium more reliable. Has anyone
> tried this? Can something similar be done with tarballs?
>
> -Brian

Yes, I use tarballs with par2 files.  par2 files can be created from any
other file or files, and can have as much or as little redundancy as you
like.  I usually fill up the medium or add up to 100% redundancy on my
backups, whichever fits.

DVDs already do forward error correction using a similar technology, but
more protection never hurts. ;-)
--
  | Steven Pinkham, Security Researcher    |
  | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |