[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

Chander Ganesan chander.ganesan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 21:25:47 EDT 2010

Justin Parker wrote:
> I have a mytouch.  I love it.  I wrestled with wanting to buy an
> iPhone for years.  Android does have exchange support, multitasking,
> cut and paste text (I have no idea how the heck iPhone got away with
> selling as many phones as they did without it).  I have rooted the
> thing at least 20 times messing with development versions of android
> 1.6 2.0 and 2.1 without bricking it.  All of my friends who have
> blackberries take one look at my phone and are in the process of
> switching to an android phone.  It's opensource you can download the
> source for peet's sake!  Why would anyone want an iPhone?
Just to point out, the iPhone does have cut and paste now.  I have an
iPhone, and I really like it.  Nice UI, responsive, and does all the
things I need (calendar - sync with WebDAV calendar, Email, can play my
voicemails, nice search functionality, etc)

I've considered upgrading to a 3GS (I have a 2G iPhone), but so far I
have yet to find I really need the features or increased bandwith (or
higher rate plan prices).

IMHO, for most people the fact that it's opensource doesn't matter -
since it's unlikely they'll download the source.  I think there's a good
argument to be made for the plethora of applications for the iPhone,
it's probably the single biggest "feature".  I also like being able to
sync it with iTunes, push movies onto it, podcasts, etc.  I've not
played with the Android OS, so I'm not sure how easy/hard that is ...