[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 10:38:08 EDT 2010

Here is a snippet of an email thread we had at work a few months ago about the Android and Exchange servers:

I'd say: "it depends". =)

The native Android mail app does offer Exchange support, but does *not*
support most ActiveSync security policies as of Android 2.0.1 (and from
what I can glean online, not in 2.1 either).  Check out this enhancement
request for details (feel free to log in with your Gmail/Google
credentials and click the star in the upper left to "vote" for it):

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4475&colspec=ID%20Type
%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

In Android 2.0 I was able to get to my calendar and contacts (but not
mail), but 2.0.1 broke that when Google attempted to make it clearer
during the account setup process that it didn't support some of the
Exchange policies the server had in place:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5337&colspec=ID%20Type
%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

All that said: it can be done.  You just need to buy an app called
Touchdown by Nitrodesk for $20 in the Android Market, which offers full
Exchange policy support.  They have a free 5 day trial version so you
can try it out.  There are also one or two other apps out there that
also claim policy support, but I've not tried them personally.

For myself, I simply use IMAP to get to my email and the free trial
version of Touchdown (some of it's features continue to work after 5
days) to get to my calendar.  It works fine for me given the way I use
my phone, and eventually I expect Google will get full policy support
into the native mail/calendar client.  The main drawback is that it only
works when connected to blizzard via wifi since I don't have a Mobile
Mail Essentials account, but that's not really an issue for me--e.g. I
don't travel much and usually don't need access when I'm on the road.
Your mileage may vary depending on your "work lifestyle" of course.

Hope this helps someone...

-Ron