[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Wed Mar 17 11:27:34 EDT 2010

Yes there is a documented quirk involving data calls with iphones.
On 3g data calls where a hand-off to another cell that is near/at
bandwidth capacity
the system down grades the data call from 3g to 2g. iphones will drop
that call.

This issue does not happen with other phones and both ATT and Apple have
failed to comment.

Using a 3g modem I have seen in the modem's messaging logs, that cells
will force/shed hand-offs to adjacent cells if the cell is reaching
capacity and the call will drop/end. It will not show a reason for the
call ending. Of course the cell the call was handed to
is outside the optimum coverage area for that candidate cell. There
would be no other candidates to hand-off to so the call drops.

73,
Neil, WA4AZL