[TriLUG] google to offer FttH?

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Mon Mar 22 16:45:30 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Dave Moody <davethebald at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Maybe I am too paranoid, but, just makes me nervous.  I've already stopped using Google on a routine basis, I use the Firefox add on Startpage (anyone have any thoughts on this?).

Privacy is about controlling the flow of your information. Your
nervousness tells me you're not confident you can control your
information enough if it's going through/over/near/etc. Google. So
first off, what information are you worried about? Search? Mail?
Pictures? Location data? Voice? How well do you control these
currently? What assurances do other providers make? Google? I think
things like http://pleaserobme.com/ demonstrate pretty elegantly that
you don't need to have all of the aforementioned eggs in one basket to
have a privacy fail that even reasonably smart people didn't think of.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we can ask questions about
Google's approach to things like this FttH push or Google Buzz without
vague worry: we can be very concrete about what sorts of controls we
expect and how our expectations will be violated if Google and other
companies don't behave a certain way. I think that's much more likely
to get us what we want than quasi-paranoia.

Now, if you really want to be paranoid, build your own private onion
routing network. :P

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer