[TriLUG] transmitting secure emails

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Mon Apr 5 22:31:55 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Chris Bullock <cgbullock at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The most recent request came from our accounting department and I would assume that most banks will not allow software to be installed on their computers.

So back to your https link idea... I don't know of an app that does
this in particular (and only this) off the shelf, but maybe you have
somebody on-site you could have cook one up pretty quickly in django.
I know of a couple of django consulting firms if you wanted to get
shop that out.

If you don't like/want custom development, then I think your best bet
is a locked down off-the-shelf webapp like mediawiki, drupal, etc.
that can only be accessed over https and where all but the login pages
are not viewable unless you're logged in. Allow people to register
themselves, but manually approve registrations before they can view
anything. Have a phone conversation be part of the workflow of
approving a new user.

To be clear, I don't think training your people to send sensitive
files via email is a good idea at all unless the files they're sending
are encrypted images of some kind, and not being able to request that
parties on the other end install software precludes that. I think
you'd want employees on your end to log into this proposed webapp, and
once they've uploaded the file/data, they either punch a button that
sends an email or they send an email with a link that requires login
to view.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer