[TriLUG] transmitting secure emails

Edwin Castillo edwin at wiredbytes.com
Mon Apr 5 23:39:03 EDT 2010

I work with a lot of customers in the health industry and they all have to
be HIPAA compliant. The method I've seen involves a web server for identity
verification and secure delivery.

For example, user at your company sends me a "secured" email; instead of
receiving an email with the content, I get an email telling me to retrieve a
message at the link in the message; once I go to the web page it asks a
series of questions and than lets me access the message. I had no software
to install to retrieve the message.

One customer even had a system that would detect sensitive information and
immediately send via the secure method.

A Google search showed a few manufacturers (Axway, McAfee, OpenText) but I
wouldn't know if one is better than another.

Regards,
Edwin Castillo * Systems Engineer
http://wiredbytes.com