[TriLUG] can't connect to wap when move it to alternate location

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Apr 12 16:48:46 EDT 2010

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010, Neil L. Little wrote:

> A good Marconii IFR (1200) service monitor can be found
> between $1-3k. There are also several places in the
> triangle where they may even be rented.

where?  (can't find anything with a quick look in google).

The wap works fine with no antennas. I can associate upto
about 10' away but no further. As soon as I put on the
rubber ducks, the wap goes dead. I tried a 15dbi antenna,
hoping to point it away from the interference, but the wap
was dead no matter where (az, el) I pointed the antenna. The
interference seems to be continuous. It's not the business'
portable phones (nominally 5.8GHz, but Pete Soper says one
of the links could be 2.54GHz), as the wap is dead with them
off too.

I don't know if the interference is in-band or out-of-band.
If it's in-band, it's not wifi, otherwise I'd detect it with
netstumber. Maybe it's microwave ovens. Will go look to see
if there's a pizza place next door. If it's out-of-band,
maybe I can filter it out.

If a spectrum analyser is available, I can tell if it's in-
or out-of band.

Thanks Joe