[TriLUG] can't connect to wap when move it to alternate location

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Apr 12 21:44:40 EDT 2010

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, David Black wrote:

> ----- "Neil L. Little" <nllittle at embarqmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A microwave ovens operate around 900mhz.
>
> Only very early units none of us likely ever owned. ;-)

They were the size of refrigerators

Neil spoke and said

> Crap, they went out of business! Ok there was a place over
> on Yonkers road in Raleigh but I see now they went out of
> business last year.

anyone got any ideas on how to get ahold of a spectrum
analyser for a hour? I'm happy to pay for someone's
time/transport etc.

Rodney said

> Microwave ovens can definitely cause interference to
> 802.11b.  At my house, if the microwave is turned on, I
> get a noticeable drop in signal quality and strength when
> the microwave is on, and it immediately clears up when the
> microwave goes off.

David said

> That's why I prefer channel 1 (2412 MHz) for
> single-channel wireless installations, as it's furthest
> away in frequency from most microwave ovens and seems to
> be least impacted.

I haven't noticed any problems myself (but I haven't looked
very hard) so I'd assumed that leakage was a solved problem.
But I've talked to a couple of people since this weekend and
apparently it's only solved from the health point of view,
not from the interference point of view.

This guy's microwave ran at the high end of the 2.54GHz
band.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3116531

Joe