[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Question about Home Office Cooling

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Apr 19 23:15:23 EDT 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Scott Chilcote wrote:

I like Christobal's suggestion of moving the gear to the
basement and having your dual headed display machine in the
office.

> Adding more cooling to the room would require a ductless split system
> (wonderful, but overkill for a small room and $$$$)

can you get into the ceiling and block the vents to all the
other rooms and have only the vent in your office blowing
cold?

If you have multiple intakes (one upstairs, one downstairs),
block off the downstair's intake (I've put a poster infront
of mine, sealed air tight with masking tape) since there's
no point in the A/C cooling the already cooler downstair's
air. You need to suck in the air from the hottest part of
the house (ie upstairs)

> or a portable room AC system.

I don't see them much here (USA) but in other countries, the
compressor etc is outside (on the ground like the heat packs
are here) with a pair of pipes to the evaporator mounted
usually above a window in the room(s) to be cooled. The
evaporator is a finned single tube 6-10' long with a
decorative housing so you don't directly see the fins. A
quiet fan or just convection handles the cooling.

Joe